Piedmont Medical Center broke ground Wednesday on its new $15 million emergency room that will serve residents of Fort Mill and surrounding neighborhoods.
Here are five things you need to know about the new ER department:
1. The standalone ER will be located on the 900 block of Gold Hill Road, replacing the old WingBonz restaurant, which will be demolished.
2. PMC says they should be serving patients there by the end of the year.
3. The site will include an ambulance station, trauma bay, 12 treatment rooms and a planned helipad. There will also be equipment for CT scans, X-rays and Ultrasound.
4. This is not the Fort Mill Hospital that has been discussed for years. A hospital is still planned, but PMC is tied up in a legal fight that started over a decade ago. PMC CEO Mark Nosacka hopes the court resolves the issue soon in its favor.
5. PMC currently serves over 75,000 patients a year in its emergency department, and officials say the numbers continue to grow every month.
Photo Credit: Piedmont Medical Center Facebook Page